For Site Selectors
Martin is located in Weakley County, 130 miles northeast of Memphis, and 150 miles northwest of Nashville. Martin is the largest city in Weakley County. The city is served by U. S. Highway 45E, Tennessee State Highway 22, and the West Tennessee Railroad.
The Martin area is characterized by level to gently rolling land with an average elevation of about 400 feet. Most industrial areas are suitable for immediate construction with very little site preparation required.
Martin was founded in 1873 and incorporated in 1874. Two principal industries developed in Martin in the early 1880’s, the Martin Roller Mills Company and the Martin Planing Mill, and they represented capital stocks of $50,000 and $25,000 respectively. The Bank of Martin opened for business in 1886.
The city has been a pioneer in activities of higher education since the year 1900 when Hall Moody Institute, the first advanced educational institution, was established. In 1927, the school became The University of Tennessee Junior College and became a senior college in 1951, when it was named The University of Tennessee Martin Branch. In 1967, it officially became The University of Tennessee at Martin, a primary campus of the University of Tennessee. The University is perhaps one of the most important factors contributing to the growth and development of Martin and its economy.
This community seeks new industry and has a cooperative municipal government and citizenry. Martin maintains a sound business climate which is receptive to business, believes in and encourages the free enterprise system, has a realistic tax structure, and encourages good labor management relations.
Categories of information included: